The Magician's Arms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for anyone with an interest in magic to hang out and chat

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Head Off Shoulders illusion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Le Fevre
Admin
Dave Le Fevre

Head Off Shoulders illusion Empty
PostSubject: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Anybody know anything about this? (Originally by Kawakami Ikuko, and popularised by Cyril Takayama.)

http://www.zebulonmagic.com/headoffshoulders.htm

At a tenner, I don't mind buying it. My only concern is would I be buying anything more than the bleedin' obvious.

It's fairly obvious that something holds up the shoulders of the jacket/coat. Probably fixed in position by strapping round the waist, strapping round the chest, or hitching onto the back of one's belt.

Does anybody know what other info, if any, one gets?

Thanks,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Mark Powell

Mark Powell

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 10:07 am

For a tenner, I've taken the plunge.

I'll let you know when I get the pdf.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Dave Le Fevre
Admin
Dave Le Fevre

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Blimey, now that's what I call service. Thanks Mark.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Mark Powell

Mark Powell

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Don't get too excited just yet - I paid for the pdf at about 10am, but am still waiting for it...
Back to top Go down
Mark Powell

Mark Powell

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 11:22 am

Still waiting...
Back to top Go down
Mark Powell

Mark Powell

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 8:52 pm

Ok, just got it and read it.

Well, it's probably not more than you expected, Dave, but the gimmick central to the illusion doesn't fasten to any of the places you mentioned.

The 16-odd pages of the pdf cover the construction of the gimmick and is very thorough. There are photographs showing a 'performance' but there is a glaring discrepancy which, in all truth, might fly by unnoticed in real performance.

Angles are severely limited to front-only.

Oh, and you are limited to wearing an overcoat - not a jacket - which must be buttoned up.

If you need any more information, Dave, just drop me a pm or email me.

All the best

Mark
Back to top Go down
Dave Le Fevre
Admin
Dave Le Fevre

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks Mark, and my apologies for not replying earlier. For some reason, the Unread Message prompt for this forum wasn't showing, so I’d assumed that the pdf still hadn’t arrived.

“Angles are severely limited to front-only.”
I’d expect the angles to be limited.

“you are limited to wearing an overcoat - not a jacket”
Hmmm. Now that is a bit of a minus. Other than that, I’d be buying it right now.

I don’t often wear a jacket, but I sometimes do, and I’d expect to be limited to wearing a jacket. But I hardly ever wear a coat.

Thanks again,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Dave Le Fevre
Admin
Dave Le Fevre

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I've found a clip (on my PC) of Cyril performing it with a coat which is hanging very open, and the coat is worn over a jacket which is also not buttoned up (but hangs fairly much closed).

Dave
Back to top Go down
Christo

Christo

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Jackets, Overcoats...blimey definitely not a Cyprus trick then!! Have a problem wearing a shirt! :-)
Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head Off Shoulders illusion   Head Off Shoulders illusion Empty

Back to top Go down

Head Off Shoulders illusion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Magician's Arms :: The Pub :: The Upstairs Room-
Jump to: